Grenade/explosive damage fading
2013-05-16, 06:55 PM
RE: Grenade/explosive damage fading
Too me that seems a little backwards. Why not use endrange for what it seems to imply is that it should be where we cut off while fade amount could be used as some kind of speed setup(I'm not sure as none of the equations so far use it)
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2013-06-20, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 2013-06-20, 04:36 PM by Victor.)
It seems a bit backwards, but it's explained like this:

endrange = range + startrange
fade amount = reduction in damage

endrange is used to describe "range", which is the fading factor
fade amount is left to describe the cut-off

On second thought, I'll use your method. Instead of cutting off by damage, we can use distance.

I need you to fix the values (RPG and grenade) now.
endrange = cutoff distance
rangeminus = fading factor

Also, I wonder why we need to have damage in the denominator as well.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2013-06-20, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 2013-06-20, 05:25 PM by ruler501.)
what do you mean by fading factor for rangeminus? We know it goes down to 1 so there is no ability to vary it. Do you mean the speed at which it goes to 1?
The formulas above and the ones currently in the source cut off at endrange(where it does exactly 1 damage), but does not use rangeminus. If you want it changed do you have an idea of an equation that would use rangeminus?

EDIT: damage-1 is in the denominator so that at endrange the damage is equal to 1. It was the only way I can think of to ensure that.
2013-06-21, 09:11 AM
I see... it's a reciprocal curve that goes from damage to 1.

I'll make the adjustments.

range: start of falling damage (0)
endrange: when the damage is 1 and ends
rangeminus: old range (for classic)

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)