missing textures in downloaded maps
2013-03-01, 02:36 AM
missing textures in downloaded maps
I have maps downloaded with ACR and, on several of them, there are missing textures. The client downloaded the cfg and cgz files but not the textures files.Sad

Why not download the missing data files (sounds, mapmodels, textures and maybe some files i forget) with map and config files in a future version of the protocol ?
Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
2013-03-01, 02:19 PM
RE: missing textures in downloaded maps
We don't have all the textures that AC 1.1 does. We have the 1.0.4 textures.

From where would we download the missing data files? We can include them in a release, but that's the best we can do.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2013-03-01, 05:22 PM
Quote:From where would we download the missing data files?

You didn't understand what I suggest.

I don't know how it exactly work but I think when a client try to connect to a server wich offer to play on a map which isn't part of the maps of the client, the client ask then download the map (cgz and cfg files) from the same server.

What I suggest is this : if the client find in the just downloaded cfg file (if this one exist) refer to one or several data files this client haven't, instead simply using default files, it ask them to the server to download them and the default files are only ued when the server also haven't them or denied the download.

Quote:We don't have all the textures that AC 1.1 does. [...] We can include them in a release

I think this idea isn't the best solution. The missing files can be made by the map developper, downloaded on a website or imported from an other game (I have a map I made with ACR which use textures from Sauerbraten).
2013-03-02, 09:23 AM
The server would be too large if it also had to have textures.

If they are auto-downloaded from a site, then what happens to security? The site might put something malicious, and there's nothing you can do. If a server puts something malicious, then you can remember not to visit it.

Also, we don't want the package to become too large.

Best regards,
Victor
//victorz.ca
Code:
Your antithesis compares favorably with any high magnitude of pwnage. (-you > |p|, you < -|p|)
My antithesis compares favorably with _that of_ any high magnitude of pwnage. (|-me| > |-p|, |me| > |p|)
2013-03-04, 09:34 AM
I understand...
2013-03-05, 03:29 PM
come to think of it, we could do with some map artists...